Friday, October 1, 2010

Couple Quarts Low....Again!

I went to get chemo yesterday and they did one of those finger prick tests to see how my blood was. Apparently, it was not so good because instead of them just giving me a shot or two and sending me home, they wanted to admit me. I convinced them that I would head straight to the hospital, get the units of blood and if my blood pressure did not get significantly better that I would stay, as requested.

My blood hemocrit was not even 8, which was what prompted them to insist on the blood transfusion. I had been feeling a little tired, but it wasn't like I was exhausted...I just felt sleepy, really sleepy!

My day started at 7:00am, or actually earlier, but I headed out to my doctor's in Santa Monica first thing in the morning, and by the time they finished their testing and wanted me to have some blood it was around 9:30am. I arrived at St. John's at 10:00 am. They did the type and cross match thing and told me (like I don't already know)...that I was AB+. They ordered the blood, had me sign the consent forms and about two hours later the blood arrived. It takes about two and a half hours to get one unit of blood...then you have to wait for the next unit to come from the blood bank place, so by the time I was done with the second unit of blood it was almost 7:00 pm. I had left home at about 7:00 am, so my day was definitely full.

I headed home and was exhausted by the time I arrived, so I just watched a little TV and collapsed. The doctor said to check back on Monday, so that's when I will go back.

No comments:

Post a Comment