Monday, February 6, 2012

The Night Before My Biopsy

I am sitting at home, trying not to think about tomorrow.  Tomorrow when they are going to shove a extremely long and scary needle deep into my lungs...apparently, while I am AWAKE!  The nurse called to tell me how to prepare for the procedure.  She started explaining how I have to arrive at such and such a time, then they will start an IV, then she told me how I would be taken to the CT lab and while I am awake they will numb up the area, nick the skin with a scalpel...I stopped her.  Wait, numb the area?  Why?  I will be under general anesthetic, why do I need numbing?  Nope, wrong.  No general.  I need to be awake to take deep breaths, to be repositioned to go into the CT machine, etc. 

After I expressed my anxiety about this info, she told me that they would give me Versaid, an amnesia effect type of drug, and something for anxiety to make me less anxious...but I will still be awake.

The lung, much like the outer layer of skin, has nerve endings, and they can't numb the lung, so I will feel the puncture...and some pressure.  I will definitely need that anxiety stuff!

So I will be blogging after I get home tomorrow.  If you are reading this when I post this to my blog, please keep me in your thoughts at 12:00 noon tomorrow.

Deep breaths.  This will all work out. 

HELP!

No comments:

Post a Comment