Thursday, June 3, 2010

Angels Walk The Earth

Have you ever known people that literally are angels on earth? They are people that listen when you need to talk, show up when you need a friend, lend a hand when you need help, are there for you, in every way they epitomize the description of friend?

I have known two people that have truly been friends to me, through thick and thin, from years before I was ever diagnosed. They have accepted me as I am, without pause, they have again and again been a shining light in my life. They have loved me as family, taken care of me when I was ill, been frank and honest when I was making bad decisions, been the best of friends through good times and bad.

They are the kind of people that will turn to you when necessary and with poise and grace, read you the riot act about how stupid you are being, without making you feel stupid or ignorant. They are the kind of people that we all should be. They should trademark their ability to be kind and giving.

I just spent two days with them at their home and I wasn't the greatest guest to have. I was suffering the after effects of my chemo, felt sick to my stomach and on top of that, I felt like I was coming down with something. I had headaches, was coughing and just wasn't the greatest company. But somehow, they made me feel better, even though I was actually getting sicker.

I was welcomed with smiles and hugs, spent Memorial Day enjoying their home-made BBQ'd ribs, salad and corn on the cob, sitting on their back patio with two other friends, soaking up the sun, laughing and talking, and somehow, someway, they once again did something miraculous...they made me forget I had cancer. I had a little vacation from my reality, which is painfully evident to me every day, every hour since I was re-diagnosed on April 15th.

So many times I have sat and wondered how I have been so blessed to have friends like Laura and Paul. I wonder how I would have gotten through to where I am now had I not had them as friends. I don't want to even think of a life that does not include them.

My two friends are my angels on earth. If I could, I would dedicate a special holiday to honor them. I love them. They are as much a part of my family as my parents, siblings, children and grandchildren are.

The amazing part of their friendship with me is...that I know I am not the only one who thinks of them in this way. Being true and courageous friends is part of the fabric of who they are. They aren't fake, or pretentious, they aren't boastful or stuck up, they are from their very core good and kind people, and I somehow did something in my life that warranted them calling me their friend.

So, to you, my dear, dear friends, I thank you for everything that you have done for me. I know I don't deserve friends like you, but I am and forever will be grateful that I have been blessed and honored to have and call you my friends.

So my Memorial Day, was memorable. On a day where everyone was giving thanks to the men and women who serve our country and protect us from harm, I gave thanks to Laura and Paul, who in their own way, protect me, take care of me and gave me a few days off from my life and protect me from harm. I love you. Thank you for being you. Thank you.


No comments:

Post a Comment