Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Blood Transfusions

My blood pressure was 80 over 50, which is dramatically lower than it is supposed to be. After making sure it wasn't medications causing the drop, they elected to type and cross-match me and order up two units of whole blood. Apparently, my bone marrow has dropped its production of blood because of the chemo. Getting pneumonia and a lung infection didn't help matters. Add to that me being bull-headed and stubborn and continuing to go to work when I was very obviously extremely ill and the end result is just what happened...I got put in the hospital.

I have gotten five or six breathing treatments since I arrived. I hate getting them, but I can tell they are working. At least they no longer do the back percussions that they used to do years ago...I don't think I could handle that right now. Guillermo is my CNA. Nurses and their assistants truly are heroes. Guillermo stops in almost every hour to see if there is anything I need, anything he can do for me. He gets me juice, crackers, helped me get into the shower and he just brought me a popsicle. I like Guillermo.

I am going to try to download pictures of my IV tree. It has seven bags and blood hanging from it. I have gotten two or three types of antibiotics and saline for hydration. In addition to my lung infection and blood levels tanking, I also have something going on with my gallbladder or liver, so that is under investigation.

Even though I have all of this going on, I feel better today. My cough is productive now and there isn't a lot of rumbling in my lungs when I breathe.

My step-daughter Cori is on her way to visit me and move my car. For some stupid reason, I elected to park on the street in a parking meter spot because my handicap allows me to park there without time limits. I thought I got lucky, but then I started remembering that if you park anywhere for more than two days without moving it, they tow in Santa Monica, so I tried to get my son to come and move my car, but he was worried about his car, so I called Cori and since her boyfriend lives out here, she agreed to come and move it for me.

I love her.

I hope I can talk my doctor into letting me out of the hospital tomorrow. I feel well enough to go so I want to go. He comes in at 7 or 8, so keep your fingers crossed for me!

1 comment:

  1. Glad you have Guillermo... Sending hugs and prayers... Be better soon, love you

    ReplyDelete