Sunday, May 2, 2010

After awhile, you learn
the subtle difference between
holding a hand and chaining a soul.
And you learn that love
doesn't mean leaning
and company doesn't always mean
security, and you begin to learn
that kisses aren't contracts
and presents aren't promises.
And you begin to accept your defeats
with your head up and your eyes ahead,
with the grace of a woman,
not the grief of a child
And you learn
to build all your roads on today
because tomorrows ground
is too uncertain for plans
and futures have a way of
falling down mid-flight.
After a while, you learn
that even sunshine burns
if you get too much.
So, you plant your own garden
and decorate your own soul,
instead of waiting on someone
to bring you flowers.
You learn that you really can endure
You really are strong
Your really do have worth
You learn and learn and learn
with every goodbye, you learn.

I got this from my daughter...although I have read it a hundred times before, today....just now, it touched a part of me that it hadn't before. It had meaning that was always there, but I just didn't need it then, or wasn't ready for it then. These words give me strength, hope and courage. I shall print them large on put them at work, in the chemo center, on my morning mirror where I get ready, so I can read these words each day and grow from them.

I love you my child of total wisdom...you bring me such great joy with your selections and choices of words....and that I had even the smallest part to do with making you you, makes me incredibly proud as a mother. You are wise beyond your years!

No comments:

Post a Comment