Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Blood Work and Bleeding

Apparently, the Yondelis has caused my blood levels to tank. I was at work on Mother's Day and got the smallest littlest tiniest papercut on my arm. I am talking a quarter of an inch cut. I bled, and then I bled some more. Then I got a paper towel and soaked it (talking a quarter inch long cut...tiny). Bled through several band aids. I called the doctor and he said to to come in, and if it didn't stop bleeding in the next half hour to go to the hospital.

Well, my blood level was 24, or was it 34. It's supposed to be in the 100 or 200 range, so I got three injections to give myself over the next couple days of Neupogen. I haven't had to give myself a shot in my tummy for over 3 years so I am a little nervous.

Other than the continuing nausea and vomiting, I actually feel just tired...like I ran a couple miles when I woke up and then did some jumping jacks and then stretched. My muscles hurt, like I have worked out. Also a side effect of Yondelis. I am day 12 or 13 now, so another IV infusion in 9 days. I have to go back to get another blood test on Thursday.

I called my old oncologist that is local. Dr. Marsha Fink. I was going to change doctors, but after my run in with an oncologist that said wait six to eight weeks and check back to see if the tumors had grown and dismissed me as inconsequential, I decided to go back to Dr. Chawla, who directed my care last time through Dr. Fink. I am growing tired of using a half tank of gas plus parking charges of 26 dollars every time I have to go to the docs office...so I called and talked to Dr. Fink. She has agreed to "talk" to me on May 20th at 2:30, so I will go see if she can help out locally with tests, visits, hospitalizations, so I do not have to travel quite so far to have something checked out.

I am officially "neutropenic" again! The doctor said..."no raw food, no salad, no fruit, no raw veggies, just no". I was aghast! How am I supposed to survive? No good food? Everything has to be cooked to kill bacteria. I can't see a dentist until my chemo is done.

Merck, who dispenses Emend, the anti-nausea drug says in an ad to call them if I need help paying for the prescription. Guess who I am calling tomorrow?

I am heading out to walk around the main street beach street faire. Need exercise!

More later!

No comments:

Post a Comment