Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Cycle Two of Yondelis

I woke up yesterday and found my son asleep in the living room, he showed up to accompany me to chemo so I wouldn't have to fight traffic and could get in the carpool lane to shorten the trip. I was so thankful to have him along to keep me company.

Upon my arrival the doctor was a little angry that I didn't show up Monday as scheduled. I explained I would lose my job if I missed anymore time and that I had called on Monday morning to explain my need to change my schedule to today, and they acquiesced.

I barely passed the finger stick test so I had to do a blood draw and that test took two hours to get results. It showed my liver function as being off the charts but my white cells and platelets were still low so they elected to reduce the amount of Yondelis I am getting, and proceeded with my infusion.

I had to get an infusion of nausea medication first, and then take my Emend pill to keep the nausea away. I found out that the three pills DO NOT last 21 days, they only last the days I take them, so I am going to try to get approval for the patch that lasts the remainder of the days between cycles.

I went home with the Yondelis infusion and went straight to the couch to rest and fell asleep. I woke up and went to pick up my soup order from Mother's Kitchen, (my absolute favorite vegetarian place to eat) and they told me my soup order of Vegetable Soup with soy meat...with the wheat bread (about 2 inches thick and also a vegetarian/vegan recipe) with Earth Balance spread and jelly was ON THE HOUSE! Granted this is fairly inexpensive anyway at 3 or 4 dollars, I was still thrilled at getting a deal...only because they noticed that I was getting infused and asked about it.

I woke up at 1, a little sick but not nearly as sick as I was the last time. Today, I am feeling amazingly normal. I have not thrown up, which is a welcome change from the last time. I will be receiving my shot of Neulasta again, and next week I will again have to take home my Neupogen to give myself, which stresses me a bit, but I'll get over it.

I also got word that I have to have another scan next week...to see if the Yondelis is working. If the tumors have grown, they will have to change my chemo to the Ifosfamide protocol, which will mean that my job will go away, I will lose my apartment and will have to find a place to live within five days of being let go, which sucks. I put a message into the cancer hotline to see what, if any help I can get from them.

I am patiently waiting to get out of here. I only have a little more time to go and then my shot and I get to go see my wonderful daughter and her gorgeous four children.

I'm going to get a copy of my blood work so that I can start educating myself on levels and how my blood plummets and how it recovers after medicines. I asked about a sample of a naturally derived vitamin that helps white blood cell recovery from Mothers. It's called Wellmune WGP, or gluco polysaccharide, derived from Saccharomyces cerevisiae.

Here comes my nurse! Yeah! Almost done!

1 comment:

  1. Keep focused on the wellness and the beautiful grandchildren. You will find strength in those angels....

    ReplyDelete